Monday, February 25, 2013

Fish Tacos

For about two years now I've been hearing people talk about fish tacos.  I wasn't quite sure about the idea of it.  I like crispy beef tacos!  I'm also not one to order something new off the menu at a restaurant.  If I find something I like once, I always order it.  (boring!!!!)  At book club one night, a couple of the girls were going to order fish tacos.  I closed my menu and just went for it!  They were pretty wonderful!  I've since ordered them 3 more times, which is huge for me at a Mexican place because I love cheese enchiladas and crispy tacos!

I convinced Brad to try them.  He likes tacos, he likes fish, what's not to like?  So I called my brother to see how he makes them.  He gave me a super simple recipe and I kind of have made it my own now that we've made them a few times at home.  The first couple of times we made them, we used tilapia from the fish counter at the grocery store.  We just sauteed it olive oil and added some chili powder to it.  The next time we grilled some shrimp and also sauteed some shrimp using the same chili powder.  Both were so delicious!  And Brad approves! :)

A mixing bowl full of coleslaw, I used the premade bag kind
Purple onion to taste, I used about 1/4-1/3 of a medium onion
A drizzle of olive oil
The juice of one large lime
A carton of cherry tomatoes, halved
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all the above ingredients and cover it and let it sit in the fridge while you cook your seafood.

Add cooked seafood and slaw mixture to a soft tortilla.  We have added cheese, and that's good, but it's also good without.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment