Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The "Big" Ultrasound

Today I had my "big" ultrasound.  It was so fun getting to lie back and see the baby on the TV while the sonographer scanned my belly.  The scan lasted about 30-45 minutes and we got to see so much of our baby!  We saw arms, hands, and fingers, legs, feet, and toes, the brain, stomach, kidneys, bladder, 4 chamber of the heart, spine, nose, lips, eyes, and inside the mouth.  We saw blood flowing to and from the heart in bright red and blue, and the sonographer turned on the 4D and we were able to see the baby's face and the baby's arms and the baby sucking it's thumb.



I was scanned at 18 weeks, 5 days and the baby is measuring at 19 weeks, 2 days.  They are not changing my due date because it's only a 4 day difference.  The baby weighed 10 oz, which prompted a comment, "the baby likes to eat!"  I guess that partially explains my weight gain?  Big and healthy baby is good with me!

I have a normal amount of amniotic fluid and the heartbeat was 147.  After the sonographer was done, she said she knows what we are having.  She asked us at the beginning if we knew what we were having and if we wanted to know.  We asked her not to tell us, but to put it in a sealed envelope if she was able to tell.  She said it was very clear.  She also said she has been doing this for 17 years and is very confident she knows the gender by what she was able to see.  Exciting!!!!

Brad suggested that we have another gender reveal party.  Great idea!  We aren't able to do it for another 2 weeks, but soon we'll know if we are having boy or a girl!  My guess is BOY!!!

The doctor, who isn't my regular OB, came in next.  She is a high risk doctor I was referred to see because I am 35, which is considered "old" to have a baby.  Good thing I don't feel old!  She told me that my placenta is covering my cervix, which isn't wonderful news.  Sometimes it will correct itself on its own as the uterus grows and expands, but sometimes it doesn't.  If it doesn't I'm at risk for bleeding, bed rest, hospitalization, and needing a C-section.  None of this makes me happy or at ease.  I'm hoping that she was giving us the worst case scenario and that it corrects itself on it's own as my baby grows.  I see my regular OB next week and I'm hoping that she has a more optimistic opinion.  I have another appointment with the high risk doctor in 5 weeks to do another scan to see if my placenta has moved up into a normal position.  I pray that it has!!!

The wonderful news is is that the baby is doing perfectly fine, is healthy, and is growing well!  That's the most important part.  I will try not to worry and just focus on the wonderful movements I've been feeling the past 2 weeks.  Sweet baby!!

2 comments:

  1. Stay positive friend! I had the same thing during both of my pregnancies and it corrected. Thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a partial covering with Abby that quickly corrected itself. This one is a complete covering, which is why it makes me more nervous. I hope it works its way back up!

      Delete